Monday, September 24, 2012

Weight Stigma Awareness Week

This is a US organised awareness week, and my posts will be one day behind theirs, due to the time difference.

Day One:  Recognise your internal stigmatizating thoughts about yourself and others.

Think about all those nasty things you say about yourself, and the preconceptions you have of other overweight/obese people.  Reflect on the invalidity of classifying someone solely by their weight.

There is a great deal more information and some tools on their website. http://www.bedaonline.com/

Make this an aware week.

2 comments:

  1. Becoming aware of my preconceptions of strangers who are overweight has been a big thing for me. I find if I see someone who is considerably overweight eating fast food, or calorie dense food, I immediately think "is that really going to help you?", or "you shouldn't be eating that". I know it is judgemental but those thoughts def pop in to my head. The difference is that I now challenge them - thanks to your blog. I ask myself "what's eating them?" (to quote you), or "what are they stuffing down?".

    Interesting though, if I meet someone who is considerably overweight and I get to know them, those judgements disappear. I'm trying to apply that same no-judgement to strangers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to your self-awareness and honesty.

    Often weight prejudice is disguised as "concern" or sometimes its just overt meanness.

    It all boils down to the fact that the weight is the effect, and that the causes are almost never gluttony, stupidity and lack of self control.

    Good luck on your journey to awareness Venty.

    ReplyDelete