Sunday, October 27, 2013

Gratitude is the right attitude



I have a major gratitude: I'm alive.  That's a really good "status" to focus on rather than on the fact that we ate too many pieces of chocolate last night or that we're 20, 50 or 100 kg overweight.  We so often focus on what we don't have rather than what we do.

But studies show that happiness is linked to an "attitude of gratitude".  If we write down at least three things each day that we are grateful for, we will be more happy.

This works for life in general, but why not apply it to eating, weight and emotions?

What three things can you be grateful for each day?

How about:

1.  I could have eaten a whole packet of Tim Tams but I stopped at five.  I'm grateful I stopped and thought about what I was doing.

2.  I said "no" to that second slice of cake at the office birthday celebration. I'm grateful that I was kind to myself and my health in that situation

3.  I was nice to myself when I looked in the mirror this morning - I didn't call myself fatso. I was just grateful that my legs and arms worked.

I'm sure you can find some things you can be grateful for each day in this area.  And who knows - perhaps gratitude leads to an improved attitude.  And perhaps an improved attitude leads to improved self care.  And perhaps improved self-care leads to increased health and well-being.  Why not take that journey and find out for yourself??

Natural Therapy for All have written about how important gratitude is in our lives.  Check out their link below.

http://blog.naturaltherapyforall.com/2013/09/23/what-gratitude-does-to-your-health/

And I hope you enjoy the cartoon.  I think it says a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment