Tuesday, July 31, 2012

This blog is outside my usual remit.  I don't comment on nutrition as I'm not qualified to do so.  Also nutrition and dietetics relate to the "symptom" i.e. excess weight.  My work focuses on the causes - the reasons that lead to excess weight.


However, this article reminded me of a story my father told me.  My dad was born in 1916 (yes, I'm THAT old - although he was a later years father to me).  He spoke of the privations experienced in England in the war and  post-war years when rationing was in place.  People ate very little in the way of animal products, and obtained their nutrition from grains and fruit/vegetables.  For example, cheese was restricted to 2 oz. per week, butter the same level.  Overall health actually IMPROVED during this time.  


What's the point?  Well, we feel that meat and dairy are essential to life but they're not.  The evidence shows that restriction in this area is not harmful, more to the point is beneficial.  


I'm not advocating a vegetarian or vegan diet, even though I have opinions in this area.  What I am saying is that if we have more reliable and verifiable information, we can make a more informed choice.  The attached article is about how Denmark survived the North Sea blockade during WW1.  Interesting stuff, I hope  you enjoy it.


And, yes, I bought tofu today, but don't hold it against me, ok?


http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/jul/lessons.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment