Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Truth About Fat

I've written before about the beliefs regular weight people have about overweight people. Often these beliefs are shared by overweight people themselves.  Lazy, stupid, lacking in self control are bandied about.  The notion that excess weight is due to a character flaw.  Well, I hope they were all watching television on Monday night.

This documentary aired on SBS and it was an eye-opener, even for me.  The very slim doctor (Gabriel Weston) who presents it comments during the program "my assumption of a lifetime which was that I am the size I am because of my character, is wrong".  Music to my ears.  If for no other reason than hearing this comment, you MUST watch "The Truth About Fat".

It examines the science behind appetite and weight and how genetics influences both.  It also looks at how stressful life events can activate genes and lead to weight gain.  And how a gastric bypass can have a regulating influence on the brain in relation to appetite.  All good, interesting stuff.

This doesn't mean we are at the mercy of our genes, hormones or appetite.  What it does show is that excess weight is not a character flaw.  Its about time that this hurtful and damaging myth was laid to rest.


Dr Gabriel Weston

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/28413507570/The-Truth-About-Fat?utm_source=Lead-Marquee

No comments:

Post a Comment