Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Fat and NOT Fit.

I recently blogged about being "fat but fit".  Here's the other side of the argument.  An article, originally appearing in the Huffington Post, looks at the flaws in measuring overweight and obesity using the B.M.I. (body mass index).

And it lists the increased percentages of numerous health risks associated directly with obesity.

Yes, there are some people who are obese and who have perfectly clean arteries and normal blood sugar.  However, it seems they are the exceptions - the small outliers in the general population.

You may have "gotten away with it" until now - I know I did for many years.  But then my cholesterol went up (now managed by dietary change) and my knee joints started complaining.  Solution: don't make them carry so much of me around.

Mr Big (about whom I have blogged before) is one of those outliers.  Even at 370kg he did not have diabetes.  (And, by the way, a month ago he was down to a svelte 254kg with the help of a dedicated team at The Alfred Hospital.)

You can make statistics lie.  The food industry does that every day ("Nutella is low G.I. - OF COURSE it is, because its loaded with fat!).  But the facts are clear - extra weight increases the risk of a number of diseases, disorders and cancers.

Read Jeff Schweitzer's article from this link.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/lifestyle/why-fat-but-fit-is-a-lie/story-fni0d7e6-1226886775324

For those of you that are interested, my blogs mentioned above can be found at...

http://eatthinkbemerry.blogspot.com.au/





No comments:

Post a Comment