Wednesday, April 2, 2014

YO YO - NO NO! Why do we regain weight?

Apologies for my absence the last few weeks.  I took a tumble (not again you say!) on the footpath in my street and banged up both my knees. Paving stone poking up.  I know it seems like a theme (fell down the stairs, tripped over the dog last year).  I'm not clumsy, though, just unlucky.  But on the mend.

But enough about me.  As I've mentioned before, over the years I've lost about 250kg. Unfortunately, I've also gained about 270kg.  I used to be able to lose about a stone (it was a long time ago - for those of you under 100 that's about 7kg) and then, for whatever reason, I either stopped dieting or my body rebelled.  

What's going on?  Wouldn't you just love a reductionist theory - that it's about one thing only. If it was, then we could fix it. Of course, we usually blame a lack of self-discipline but its more complex than that.  Michael Jarosky, writing in The Age, has pondered about the various factors involved in the re-gain of weight.  His list:

1.  Its not fun losing weight.
2. You didn't exercise.
3. Dieting didn't work.
4. You didn't learn anything.
5. You reached a fake finish line.
6. You did it for the money and the fame (you need to read the article to understand this one)
7. You just don't want it badly enough.

Intrigued?  Agree/disagree?  The full article can be found at http://www.theage.com.au/executive-style/fitness/blogs/boot-camp/why-do-we-put-weight-back-on-20140401-35w1l.html 


No comments:

Post a Comment