Thursday, March 15, 2012

How prolific am I! (and I'm supposed to be on holidays this week)

I write this from a friend's house down near the beach.  It has been a relaxing week even though I have been updating websites and reading work related materials.  It must be the fresh air, and its also the first opportunity I've had to work on this type of thing for ages.

Another interesting study popped up in my inbox today and I wondered how relevant it might be to us all.  A Finnish study appearing in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (very reputable source) indicating that being dissatisfied at work or experiencing work burnout is likely to lead to emotional eating, or even uncontrolled eating (i.e. bingeing).  Now some of you might say "DUH" - isn't that stating the obvious?  Maybe it is...but now its not just anecdotal, its proven.  And also, there will be some other women out there who use drinking, smoking or retail therapy as their coping strategy.

So if the correct principle (i.e. MY principle!) is to address the cause and not just the effect, then we need to question why we are working in jobs that frustrate and exhaust us.  Are we captive to the salary?  Or have we been beaten down so long, we think no one will want to hire us?  Hmmmm, food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment